(Check your answers in Appendix C.)
describes the relationship indi-
cated as B on this figure.
Use this figure for questions 2-3.
In this figure, the position of the stomach is __________rela-
tive to the liver.
3. The system shown in the figure___________ .
a. distributes oxygen and nutrients to body tissues and re-
moves carbon dioxide and wastes
b. chemically coordinates various body functions
c. breaks down food, absorbs nutrients, and excretes solid
d. controls the ionic composition of the blood and removes
4. The ___________ is the part of a feedback system that re-
c. control center
d. controlled condition
5. Aerobic respiration is a physiological process that breaks
down glucose into carbon dioxide and water, while capturing
chemical energy into ATP. The life process that best describes
this pathway is ___________ .
6. Which quadrant would best pinpoint the location of a patient's
7. A patient has injured his scapula. The common name for this
body part is the___________ .
(H in t:
See Figure 1.5b.)
c. shoulder blade
18 CHAPTER 1
Organization of the Human Body