(Check your answers in Appendix C.)
1. A patient excretes bicarbonate in his urine. What does this tell
you about conditions in the nephron?
a. The amount of bicarbonate exceeds the amount of hydro-
gen ion secreted by the tubule.
b. The amount of bicarbonate is smaller than the amount of
hydrogen ion secreted by the tubule.
c. The amount of bicarbonate equals the amount of hydrogen
ion secreted by the tubule.
d. The amount of bicarbonate reabsorbed exceeds the amount
of hydrogen ion secreted by the tubule.
Use this figure to answer questions 2-4.
Aldosterone acts on the
b. proximal convoluted tubule
c. distal convoluted tubule
d. nephron loop
Use this figure to answer questions 6-9.
Which labeled segment sets up an osmotic gradient in the
2. The function of the structure labeled B is to______.
a. transport urine from the body
b. store urine
c. transport urine to the bladder
d. filter the blood
3. During a urinary tract infection, the blood most commonly
comes from which of the labeled structures?
4. Which of the labeled structures is susceptible to nephritis?
7. Which segment absorbs approximately two-thirds of all filtered
water and solutes?
8. The structure shown in D is the target of______.
acts on which segment to control calcium reabsorption?
466 CHAPTER 15
The Urinary System and Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Balance