What is happening in this picture?
Bulimia is an eating disorder in which people consume large
amounts of food in short periods to satisfy emotional needs, and
then induce vomiting.
Why would a diet like the one
shown here be typical of an individual with bulimia?
If the person in this picture "purges" regularly,
what will happen to her mouth and esophagus?
(Check your answers in Appendix C.)
1. Where does physical digestion begin?
b. small intestine
d. large intestine
Use this diagram to answer questions 2-5.
2. Which labeled organ secretes CCK?
3. Nutrients are extracted and processed in which organ?
4. In which labeled organ is bile stored?
5. Which organ in the figure secretes insulin and glucagon?
6. Lack of insulin characterizes______.
a. type 1
b. gestational diabetes
c. type 2 diabetes
434 CHAPTER 14
The Digestive System, Nutrition, and Metabolism