Which structure prevents backflow from the pulmonary
10. A heart block most commonly begins at the structure labeled
b. A c . D
5. Which structure anchors the chordae tendineae to the papil-
6. In which branch of the systemic circulation does blood pres-
sure drop the most?
A subject takes a drug in clinical trials that lowers blood
pressure, but his heart rate stays the same. Which of the
following changes most likely explains the effects of the
a. The drug causes vasoconstriction in the systemic circula-
b. The drug increases the stroke volume of the heart.
c. The drug causes vasodilation in the systemic circulation.
d. The drug increases sodium and water reabsorption in the
Use this figure to answer questions 8-10.
8. The signal for ventricular depolarization begins at which
9. The function of the structures labeled E
is which of the
a. originate the wave of depolarization in the ventricles
b. spread the wave of depolarization throughout the ven-
c. originate the wave of depolarization in the atria
d. prevent the wave of depolarization from spreading back-
ward in the ventricles
11. What process occurs more at the venule end of a capillary
than at the arteriole end?
a. oxygen diffusion into the capillary
b. fluid filtration
c. fluid absorption
d. oxygen diffusion out of the capillary
12. Which factor is most likely to cause a rise in blood pressure?
a. decreased stroke volume
d. decreased blood volume
13. Which of the following hormones would lower blood pres-
Use this figure to answer questions 14-15.
Which of the labeled structures is an artery?
Which of the labeled structures is a portal vein?
Review your Chapter Planner on the chapter opener and
check off your completed work.