(Check your answers in Appendix C.)
Astronauts spend vast amounts of time in weightlessness,
where the effect of gravity is minimal. Which sense would
most likely be affected by this environment?
Use this figure for questions 2-4.
2. The structure labeled E______.
a. supplies blood to the eye
b. focuses light
c. converts light to nerve impulses
d. regulates the amount of light entering the eye
3. Which labeled structure is the cornea?
4. Which labeled structure is the pupil?
are receptors that detect pain.
b. Pacinian corpuscles
d. Meissner corpuscles
6. What part of the ear changes sound waves to vibrations?
a. auditory ossicles
b. tympanic membrane
d. oval window
Use this figure for questions 7-9.
The area indicated by the letter C
a. collects and transmits sound
b. converts sound waves to vibrations
c. converts pressure waves to nerve impulses
d. relieves pressure
8. Which labeled part is the stapes?
9. Which labeled part senses accelerations?
250 CHAPTER 8
Somatic Senses and Special Senses