Critical and Creative Thinking Questions
1. While grading papers, Mr. Jackson gets a minor paper cut.
Although the cut is irritating, it does not bleed. How will Mr.
Jackson's cut heal? Will it leave a scar? Explain your answers.
2. In a beauty salon, Mrs. Reid is having her eyebrows plucked
during a facial. She winces when each hair is pulled and thinks
to herself, “I am killing my hairs." Is Mrs. Reid correct? Explain
3. In a dry-cleaning store, Joe spills some cleaning fluid on his
arm. It immediately turns red but does not blister. What type
of burn is Joe's injury, how severe is it, and how should he
4. Mrs. Stephenson, an elderly female, notices that some moles
on her arm have changed color and become irregularly
shaped. She shrugs them off as age spots and ignores them. Is
Mrs. Stephenson doing the right thing? Why or why not?
5. Jill is nearly 13 years old. She begins to notice hair growing on
her underarms and in her pubic area. She is worried that hair
is spreading from her head to the rest of her body and tells her
mother. What should her mother say to calm Jill?
What is happening in this picture?
This wom an is applying lotion to her
exposed skin in preparation for a day at the beach.
How will exposure to sunlight dam age her skin? W hat
else can she do to prevent or m inim ize the dam age?
W hat is one advantage of her being out in the sun for
even a short period of time?
Critical and Creative Thinking Questions 109