(Check your answers in Appendix C.)
1.___________ is made during transcription.
Use this figure for questions 2-3.
2. What structure is depicted in this figure?
c. endoplasmic reticulum
d. plasma membrane
3. Which of the structures labeled in the figure is associated with
4. Which of the following cells would
n o t
undergo mitosis in its
a. intestinal cell
d. hair cell
5. The major function of the organelle in this figure is to
a. make proteins
b. control flow of substances into and out of cell
c. control and coordinate cell functions
d. make ATP
6 . _________ is the movement of substances against a con-
centration gradient using energy.
a. Facilitated diffusion
b. Passive transport
c. Active transport
7. The cell in this photo is in the___________ phase of mitosis.
8. The___________ is the part of the chromosome that shortens
and disappears with age.
88 CHAPTER 3
Cells and Tissues